Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Soups

Soups

Chicken legs- with or with out skin
Carrots 
Celery chopped up finely
Onion
Bay leaf
Black pepper ( my mom would put in whole black pepper corns in... I don't just because if the girls got it... They would not be happy!)

That is the base...
Buy shiitake mushrooms and you can dump some mushrooms in the soup... Flavor does not change much but it's basically a hot water extraction. ( get shiitake from whole foods - there supplier is far west fungi!)

Then if I have turmeric I put that in... You could put corn in to... 
Or 
Some times I put in leek and potatoes ( leek is a yummy smell)

Wild rice is awesome... You could put in with the leek... The wild rice gives it a totally different smell. 

Try different grains and rice... They all give off something different! 

Oh and my mom likes to make cabbage soup too... Basically it I think curly cabbage, potatoes, carrots, bay leaf, oinon, pepper, chicken or steak or no meat, some tomatoes cut up fine, could put some white rice ( just a little). Than when it is done, you add sour cream to the soup... Soo yummy! :)


BEAN SOUP!!!

Pino beans in water - cook for 3 hours
Then fry 1 big onion chopped + 1 huge carrot chopped  (i also added finely cut shiitake mushroom)
Then add to soup. 
Cook for 1 more hour and add salt and pepper
At the end - add cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment